This article is for informational purposes only. Please ensure that you are familiarized with the latest updates of the legislation on this matter. You are solely responsible for compliance with the applicable legislation on product safety and certification and must ensure the conformity of your products with any applicable requirements prior to selling them on Joom.
PLEASE NOTE: that Joom reserves the right to request a copy of the declaration of conformity (also known as an EC certificate) any time prior to or after placing your products on the platform as well as any other mandatory documents confirming compliance of your products with applicable standards.
What does CE marking mean? Why is it so important to mark and certify the products?
As a merchant selling products on the Joom platform, you must comply with any applicable legislation, including requirements to the product safety applicable in the country to which you sell your products. When you sell your products to customers from the EU, you must ensure that these products comply with the EU safety requirements.
By affixing "CE" marks to the products the manufacturer or its authorized representative confirms that the products are safe to be sold in the European Economic Area (EEA).
In case your products do not meet the safety standards (the standards varies depend on the countries and regions), you must not place such products on the Joom platform, or you must set the countries which you don't meet the standards as Disallowed Countries & Regions.
Even if you are not a manufacturer, being a manufacturer's representative or a seller means that your are involved in the supply chain of the product and obliged to sell only those products that conform the applicable safety standards and other applicable requirements (in particular, specifications that may apply to your products). You must sell only safe, CE marked products to be sure that
- your items will not be banned due to the absence of declarations of conformity and CE marking on the product you sell on Joom
- you will not be held liable for the breach of the applicable legislation on certification and safety of products
Which products require CE marking and declaration of conformity?
The list of products requiring a declaration of conformity and CE marking can be found here.
⚠️ Please note: that the list may be updated from time to time and you must familiarize yourself with any changes and updates.
Toys for children under the age of 14 are subject to CE marking and require obtaining an EC declaration of conformity in accordance with the Directive on the Safety of Toys (DIRECTIVE 2009/48/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 18 June 2009 on the Safety of Toys). In addition to CE marking, a certain warning must be affixed to the toys (such as "Not suitable for children under 36 months").
What are my obligations with regard to CE marking and certification as the merchant selling on Joom?
- You shall examine the applicable regulation and identify which of the products you sell on Joom require certification
- If you are a manufacturer of the products, you shall undergo testing procedures in order to check whether your products are compliant with the safety standards.
- If you are an importer or distributor, you shall ensure that the manufacturer passed the safety tests, affixed CE marking to the products and provided you with a copy of the valid declaration of conformity. Upon expiration of the current declaration, you shall ensure that you receive a new declaration.
⚠️ Please note: that you may be required to take down your products if they do not comply with applicable requirements. In this case, you must delete all the products immediately upon receipt of the relevant request from Joom or relevant authorities.
How can I get a declaration of conformity?
You can find brief guidelines on how to obtain a declaration of conformity on the official resources of the European Commission.
If you are not a manufacturer, but a distributor or an importer, you must ensure that products are accompanied by the declaration of conformity and other technical documentation, so you will be able to present them upon request of the competent authorities or Joom. You can find out more about technical documentation here.
Declaration of conformity is a self-declaratory document, but it shall contain all mandatory information required by the relevant directive. The draft of the declaration of conformity can be found here.
Examples of a declaration of conformity (EC certificate):
Where can I find the detailed information on certification and CE marking?
- DIRECTIVE 2001/95/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 3 December 2001 on general product safety
- Information on the European standards and technical specifications
- General information on CE marking
- Information on the harmonized standards (can be used to demonstrate that the products are compliant with the European requirements to products safety)
- The form of the declaration of conformity
- Information on conformity assesment