A product variant is a specific model (SKU) of a product, a product could include various product variants. For instance, Nike Air Force 1 Running Shoes is a product, and Nike Air Force 1 Running Shoes in the brown color and size 36 is a variant of the product.
Here's an example of how a product variant looks to customers:
Product variants are needed in the following cases:
- Product has different sizes;
- Product has different colors;
- Product has different patterns or styles;
- Product offers different functionality, technical parameters etc.
If a product has two colors (black and white) and two sizes (S and M), then it will have four variants.
What you should not do?
Uploading a product image with various colors that you don't sell. For example, you show nine color options for a product, but you only added 2 color options.
Using numbers or letters to mark variants instead of providing variant images.
Product variant requirements:
- Product variants must belong to the same product. For example, a table and a chair cannot be set as different variants of the same product.
- Each product variant must have its own unique SKU.
- Each variant must have an image corresponding to it. If one product variant has a variant main image, other variants must have it as well.
- Colors for product variants must be chosen from the list of accepted colors.
- Colors, sizes, and images of a variant cannot be duplicated for other variants.
If a product variant doesn't meet the requirements, it will be rejected during the moderation process.
How to add a product variant?
A variant is added to one product card. A variant is not created as a separate product card, as it is considered a duplication and will therefore be rejected by moderation.
Adding a product variant manually via user interface
- Add a variant to an uploaded or a new product.
- Adding a variant to a new product. Go to Products and click Manage Products > Create in Panel.
- Adding a variant to an uploaded product. Go to Products, select a product you want to add a variant to and click Edit Product.
- Scroll down to Product Variation and fill in all the required information.
- To add more variants, click Add Variant. You can also copy previously added information to accelerate the process.
Adding product variants in bulk with files
You can add a variant to an uploaded product or a new one. Refer to the following articles for detailed instructions:
- Adding variants to uploaded products.
- Adding variants to new products.
Please take note of the following points:
- Variants are filled in from the Variant SKU column.
- All variants must have unique variant SKUs, but one product SKU.
- The product name, description, search tags, dangerous kind, and main image must be the same for all variants.