Joom follows the rules of fair competition and cares about customers' experience.
In this article you will learn our rules and prohibitions on:
Selling Prohibited Products
Joom bans merchants from selling alcohol, drugs, tobacco, weapons, etc. on the platform. Additionally, we don't allow merchants to use content that is violent or pornographic. Check the article "products prohibited on Joom" to learn more.
Penalty: If the platform discovers the prohibited product it will be disabled
"Brushing" refers to merchants ordering their own products and leaving positive comments to improve their ratings and metrics.
Penalty: If we detect any case of brushing, we have the right to deactivate the merchant's account without prior notice.
Use of Duplicated/Related Accounts
Each merchant is allowed to have only 1 account on the platform. A merchant that creates more than one account or uses related accounts, which violates platform rules, will be given the corresponding penalty.
Penalty: If we find that a single merchant possesses multiple accounts or uses related accounts, will we ban all duplicated and/or related accounts (the accounts with fewer sales or subsequent registrations).
IP Rights Violation (counterfeiting)
Joom takes a firm stance against violations of third-party rights. Therefore, Joom maintains a zero-tolerance attitude toward sale of counterfeits on its platform. Nonetheless, platform data indicate that many merchants continue to upload counterfeits.
Joom will systematically monitor counterfeits; and on a weekly basis, it will сheck the followings products of all merchants in the past week:
- Moderated products (already for sale) removed for reason of brand counterfeiting;
- Newly uploaded products (pending sale status) rejected at the product review stage for reason of brand counterfeiting.
If, within one week, a merchant has one or more products that have been removed or rejected because of brand counterfeiting, the penalty may be increased, depending on the violation. For more information, please read the article "What Is a Copyright Infringement? "
Price fraud occurs when:
- prices across variants of multi-attribute products differ by over 10% for no apparent reason;
- price is unreasonably high. The unreasonably high price is over 20% of overpricing with no apparent reason. Joom platform compares the price with product's prices on other platforms.
Price fraud across variants
If the platform suspects fraudulent pricing practices in relation to 10% of products offered by a merchant, we will take action by removing all products with deceptively low prices.
For any price disparity in product variations, a reasonable explanation must exist, such as:
- Different functionalities (e.g. mechanical and automatic mixers, electronic devices);
- Different sizes (e.g. blankets may vary in size, which can lead to differences in shipping costs).
Please note that for products belonging to categories "clothing" and "footwear," price disparity between variants are prohibited. The principle of pricing to follow is the same as that practiced in physical stores. In other words, one product has to have one price. While no variation price disparity regulation for products in other categories has currently been formulated, where Joom's moderators discover cases of unreasonable disparity, the product will be rejected during moderation or withdrawn from sale.
Example cases of price fraud
- Prices differ by more than 10% in relation to jackets that have the same size, but different colors.
- Prices differ by more than 10% in relation to curtains that have the same size, but different patterns.
- Prices differ by more than 10% in relation to pencil bags that have the same style, but different color.
- Prices differ by more than 10% in relation to shoes and clothing products that have the same style, but different sizes.
Example cases of reasonable pricing disparity
- Prices may differ in cases where the phone is of the same model, but varies in memory capacity (e.g. 64GB and 256GB for an iPhone). As the range of variety can be unlimited, the price difference can exceed 10%.
- Prices may differ in cases where water cups have the same style, but different sizes (e.g. 300ml and 500ml for cups). As the range of variety can be unlimited, the price difference also can exceed 10%.
Unrelated Product Variations
Joom strongly prohibits placing together products belonging to different categories. Each URL refers only to one type of product. So, if a product is a suit, you wouldn’t be able to split it up into its top and bottom, then sell them separately as different variations. In the same vein, it doesn’t make much sense to sell clothing accessories under the category of "Skirts."
Violation of platform rules harms customer experience, as customers may find themselves lost and unable to search for and purchase the products they want. Merchants found to be in violation will receive the corresponding penalty.
We don’t allow duplicate products to be uploaded, even to different stores under a single account. Products should differ significantly from one another in image, name, description, price, etc.
False Logistics Information
False logistics information occurs where:
- A merchant provides the same tracking number for orders from different customers;
- A merchant provides incorrect tracking number to a customer (e.g. the customer is in Europe, but the tracking number given refers to a product being shipped to South Africa);
- A merchant ships packages that are empty.
The scenarios described above are considered fraud. In cases where we find false logistics information, we have the right to cancel the orders without consulting the merchant about details.
Theft of Images
Theft of images refers to unauthorized use of images or photos belonging to a third party. For example:р
- Using original images and photos uploaded by other merchants or from the internet;
- Editing (PS) images and photos belonging to others and then using them for one’s own purposes;
- Adding one’s own watermark to images or photos belonging to others and then using them for one’s own purposes.
Merchants that use images or photos belonging to a third party without authorization will be given the appropriate penalty (from deactivating product, giving penalty points to deactivating account).
Unrelated Items In Packages
Please pay attention to the integrity of products and accessories when shipping. In addition, ensure the following unrelated items are not included in the package:
- Cards with other online or offline store information and personal information of the merchant;
- Store discount coupons, cash back coupons, or VIP cards, etc.;
- Cards or paper strips requesting customers to rate the merchant five stars and/or containing long comments or photos of products.
However, Joom does allow merchants to include the following items:
- "Thank you" cards with the merchant's Joom store name or link;
- Greeting cards, bookmarks, or stickers with good wishes (such as "Have a nice day!");
- Reasonable, small gifts or souvenirs, such as refrigerator stickers, key chains, etc.;
Violation of the above rules will result in the merchant account being banned for 1, 3, or 7 days, depending on the seriousness of the violation.
Contacting Buyers Privately
In order to ensure efficient communication, service quality, and user experience, Joom has special customer service representatives qualified in the relevant local language, who are responsible for the communications between merchants and customers.
Joom is responsible for the security of its customers’ information, so our merchants are not allowed to contact customers privately via phone, email address, messengers, or social media, such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, VK, etc.
Merchants that violate the above rules will be blocked.
False Product Links
Linking to a false product refers to the act of reserving a product link and replacing the product body. The following are some examples:
- The product link initially corresponds to a single-attribute product, e.g. 8G U disk. Then the merchant changes the link body to another single-attribute product, e.g. 32G U disk.
- The product link initially corresponds to a towel (a lower price). Then the merchant changes the product body of the link to a dress (a higher price).
Upon confirmation of the falsity of a product link and replacement of the product, the offending product will be removed, and the merchant's account will be banned if the merchant repeatedly violates this rule.
High Cancellation Rate
Joom system automatically blocks the products with a high cancellation rate. Such products will be disabled with a red warning sign and "Product has high cancel rate" diagnostics message.
If during the evaluation period the cancellation rate is too high, merchant's account will be blocked. Please note, that the other penalties might also be applied. Read more about Cancellation Rate.
Products with Unreasonably High Prices Will Be Blocked
Joom noticed that merchants set unreasonably high prices for certain products. Overpriced products undermine the platform reputation and customers experience. In this case, Joom decided to update the platform policy in relation to overpriced products.
From now on, the platform has the right to block products with unreasonably high prices. According to the current platform policy, the unreasonably high price is over 20% of overpricing with no apparent reason. The percentage of allowed overpricing can be changed. Please note, that Joom determines the normal prices by comparing with product’s prices on other platforms.
We urge merchants to check their listings and reduce the unreasonably high prices
- General Merchant:
Cancelled orders: 60/3000
Cancellation Rate is 2%
Cancelled orders amount per week is more than 20
Result: merchant won't receive a penalty.
- New Merchant:
Cancelled orders: 75/250
Cancellation Rate is 30%
Cancelled orders amount per week is more than 20
Result: merchant's account will be blocked for two (2) weeks.